I am co-Director of LaFHIS - Laboratory on Fundamentals and Tools for Software Engineering where I am heavily involved in teaching, research and technology transfer activities. I am a Professor at the Department of Computing, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires and an Independent Researcher for CONICET. I also hold a Readership at the Department of Computing, Imperial College London, UK.
My research interests are in the broad area of Software Engineering and more specifically in modelling and analysis as a means to gain confidence in requirements, design and code artefacts. As the name of my research group indicates, I am interested in foundational aspects that can be exploited in tools for supporting automated reasoning, tools for which a body of meta-properties proven mathematically and experimentally exist. Currently, my main research threads are related to partial behaviour models, scenario-based specifications, verification of probabilistic systems, controller synthesis, machine learning for automated diagnosis, automatic abstraction for validation, and adaptive systems.
Some of the funded research projects I am currently involved in are: Partial Behaviour Modelling (ERC), Modelling and Analysis of Fault Tolerant Systems (ANPCYT), Controller Synthesis for Software Engineering (ANPCYT), Partial Software Verification (CONICET).
My daughter's take on my research.
Much of the research I am involved feeds into and is validated by tools we build:
- MTSA supports partial behaviour model specification and analysis and also implements various controller synthesis techniques
- Contractor supports automated abstraction of contract specifications and code (in C and .Net).
- Other tools are not so well packaged but are available via my students and collaborators.
- Senior Member of the Institution of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- Senior Member of the Association for Computing Machinery
- Member of the IFIP Working Group 2.9. on Software Requirements Engineering
Recent Awards and Honours
- ACM Distinguished Scientist, 2016
- Bernardo Houssay Prize, Ministry of Science, 2015
- Konex Foundation Awards, 2013
- Software Engineering Foundation Award, Microsoft Research, 2010
- Argentine National Academy of Exact, Natural and Physical Sciences, 2008
- IBM Faculty Award, 2006
- Philip Leverhulme Prize, Leverhulme Trust, 2005
- Newly Appointed Lecturers Award, Nuffield Foundation, 2004
Current External Activities
- Advisory Board, Fundacion Sadosky, 2011 -
- Associate Editor, Springer Requirements Engineering Journal, 2008 -
- Associate Editor, Elsevier Science of Computer Programming, 2013 -
- Steering Committee Member, International Conference on Software Engineering, 2007 -
- General Chair, International Conference on Software Engineering, Buenos Aires, 2017
Past External Activities
- Board of Directors, YPF, 2012-2015.
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 2006 - 2010
- Program Chair, Automated Software Engineering Conference (ASE), 2010
- Steering Committee Member, Conference on Automated Software Engineering, 2006-2009
- Program co-Chair, International Conference on Automated Software Engineering, Tokyo, 2006
- Program co-Chair, International Conference on Software Engineering, Cape Town, 2010.
Recent Program Committee Memberships
- ACM SIGSOFT Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE), 2014 and 2015.
- Program Board: International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), 2018.
PhD Students and Postdocs
- Current PhD students:
- Rodrigo Castaño, University of Buenos Aires
- Daniel Ciolek, University of Buenos Aires
- Leandro Nahabedian, University of Buenos Aires
- Ezequiel Castellano, University of Buenos Aires
- Natalia Rodriguez, University of Buenos Aires
- Fernan Martinelli, University of Buenos Aires
- Mariano Cerrutti, University of Buenos Aires
- Past PhD students
- Esteban Pavese Humboldt Universität zu Berlin,
- German Sibay,
- Hernan Czemerinski, Research Associate at University of Buenos Aires
- Nicolas D'Ippolito, Professor at Universidad de Buenos Aires.
- Guido de Caso, Software Engineer at Medallia, Argentina.
- Dalal Alrajeh, Junior Research Fellow at Imperial College London, UK.
- Lucio Mauro Duarte, Associate Professor at Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Brazil
- Genaina Nunes Rodrigues, Researcher at University of Brasilia, Brazil
- Dario Fischbein, Software Engineer at Algorithmic Trading, UK
- Paulo Henrique Maia, Researcher at Federal University of Ceara, Brazil
- Past Postdocs